Storytelling in Schools
“Storytelling was found to be effective in creating interest and improving reading skills in activities associated with social studies, science, language arts, and bilingual education.”
— Dr. Robin D. Groce, Assistant Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Mississippi State University.
SAI residencies consist of multiple classroom visits for students.
- Programs are designed to fit any type of student or classroom.
- Professional Storytellers offer exemplary models as they introduce students to the art of storytelling
- All programs are uniquely designed through collaboration between SAI Storytellers and the program site
Professional Storytellers will work alongside classroom teachers to improve emergent literacy skills.
- Sharpen their listening skills.
- Build critical thinking skills through discussion and age appropriate analysis of stories.
- Improve verbal and nonverbal skills by participating in carefully constructed story related activities.
- Learn within the safe environment of a story.
- Develop fundamental skills needed to succeed in school.
Elementary School Residencies
Students continue to build upon early childhood literacy skills by providing the opportunity to listen to stories, retell, dramatize, draw, write, and discuss.
- Bridge the understanding between oral and written communication
- Expand their awareness of tolerance and cultural
- Build self-esteem and problem-solving skills for conflict resolution
Middle School and High School Residencies
Teens enjoy stories when they are challenged to listen and respond to the ways folktalesand myths mirror issues in their own lives.
- Deepen their understanding of ideas through discussion, writing, as well as visual and performing arts
- Develop an appreciation of the ideas and creativity of their classmates
- Explore cultural differences and have opportunities to work with and respond to their classmates
- Continue to strengthen their sense of self and their place in the community while continuing to build literacy skills in all subject areas